Media Item Details


© ALB0003

All content appearing on this digital archive are either copyrighted or under our custodianship. All rights are reserved. Contact us if you would like to make use of material for use rights or permission.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Creation_date 2017-02-27T09:34:58
Media Id 1334_310
Media Type image
Populated 1
Royalty Free no
Pixel Size 2093 x 1196
Orientation panoramic
Description Sports - Kingswood beat St Andrew’s BEFORE a large crowd in bitterly cold weather and on a slippery field, Kingswood deservedly beat St Andrew’s by 19 points to nine; This was the first time Kingswood had beaten St Andrew’s since 1962. Kingswood forwards excelled themselves in the loose and set scrums although outweighed. They were faster and continually hunted as a pack. They kept up the pressure throughout the game except for a short spell in the second half when the fast pace of the game began to tell. Their fiery play harassed the St Andrew's threes into errors and their three-quarters came up very quickly in defence. St Andrew’s did not play badly but they did not play well and never settled down. At one stage with the score at 13-9 in the middle of the second half, it appeared as if St Andrew’s were going to fight back and Kingswood might be feeling the effects of their strenuous efforts. But when Kingswood added a further goal there was no doubt about the outcome of this exciting, hard but clean game, well controlled by Mr E. Rothman. Kingswood were first to score when a penalty kick fell just short and following up very quickly, White gathered and was over, for Becker to convert. After a period in which both sides attacked in turn, Chase put over a fine penalty. From a line-out near the St Andrew’s goal line, Watson gathered and forced his way over for an unconverted try. Half-time arrived with Kingswood leading 8-3. The next try was a brilliant solo run of 70 yards by Anderson who intercepted a ball after St Andrew’s had heeled from a set scrum. Becker converted. Shortly afterwards Chase kicked another good penalty and a little later Chase succeeded with another penalty. Kingwood’s final points came from a fine 35-yard run by the wing, O’Neill, for an unconverted try. ARTICLE 2: K’WOOD FIRST VICTORY KINGSWOOD ... .. .. ..19 ST ANDREW’S ... .. .. ..9 IN an exciting and very good schools rugby game played in Grahamstown today Kingswood scored their first victory for nine years over St Andrew’s when they beat them by 16 points to nine after leading 8-3 at half-time. Kingswood were the first to score after ten minutes. A penalty which fell under the poles was mishandled by St Andrews and White was up to take the ball and score under the poles. Becker converted (5-0). St Andrew’s replied with a very good penalty kick by Chase, who kicked 40 yards (5-3). Kingswood increased their lead when Watson, their No. 8. forced his way over near the poles. The conversion failed (8-3). Midway through the second half Anderson, the Kingswood centre, intercepted and ran 50 yards to score under the poles. Becker converted. (13-3). St Andrew’s were awarded another penalty and Chase converted making it 13-6. Another penalty by Chase made it 13-9. Kingswood were superior in all phases at this stage and went further ahead when O’Neill, their rightwing, went over in the corner. (16-9). ARTICLE 3: Kingswood has convincing win Kingswood beat St. Andrew’s 16-9 in an action-packed game played in overcast in wet conditions at St. Andrew’s at the week-end. Kingswood dominated most of the line-outs and scrums and tackled extremely well. Kingswood scored first when White, flank, followed up a kick at goal by Becker which failed. St. Andrew’s mishandled and White gathered to score under the posts. Becker converted (5-0). Chase, the St. Andrew’s centre, replied with a magnificent penalty kick (5-3). Watson, Kingswood eighth man, playing an excellent game, was next to score when he took the ball at the back of the line-out on the St. Andrew’s line and barged his way over. Becker failed with the conversion (8-3). This was also the half-time score. The score remained at 8-3 for the next 15 minutes before Anderson, Kingswood centre, intercepted a pass to run 50 yards and score under the poles. Turner converted (13-3). Chase kicked two more penalties for St. Andrew’s, making the score 13-9. Kingswood came back strongly and completely dominated the opposition. In the closing stages of the game the Kingswo
Branded_id 1334_310
Dpi 300
Ingestion_path Kingswood College Digital Archive/Kingswood College Images/Photographic Prints/CON0002/ALB0003
Property Release PR-NON
Credit Line Kingswood College / Kingswood Historic Photographs/CON0002/ALB0003
Original_filename KWC_20170227_5178.tif
Collections ALB0003
Keywords black and white photo, rugby, sports, 1970
Imported 1510946924
Browse_path Kingswood College Digital Archive/Kingswood College Images/Photographic Prints/CON0002/ALB0003
Model Release MR-NON
Media_id 1334_310
Media_type image
Royalty_free no
Pixel_size 2093 x 1196
Property_release PR-NON
Credit_line Kingswood College / Kingswood Historic Photographs/CON0002/ALB0003
Model_release MR-NON